Friday 12 August 2011

Waterer

This blue drinking bowl was our first waterer for the chickens. It has a wide base at the bottom so the chickens could not tip it over. It's just that we have to change the water several times a day because it gets dirty.

Then we switched to this one-gallon waterer that we bought in a farm supply store and things improved a little bit but the water still gets dirty.



This is now the latest drinking waterer for the chickens inside the coop. It has a dual nipple so two chickens can take a drink at the same time.  

When I was looking for some water bottles for the rabbits in the pet shop store one day, I found this dual nipple on the shelf which is actually for pet dogs and I thought that I could probably use it for the chickens. So I bought this item and got an empty 1-litter plastic soda bottle and tried to cap it on but it would not fit. So my husband and I went to the grocery store looking for a plastic soda bottle with a wider mouth that would fit into this contraption. We bought different kinds of bottled juice in different sizes and containers with a wider mouth thinking that any of these should fit. Nothing worked. Then I saw an empty 1.5 litter plastic bottle in the trash can in our backyard and thought I'd give this a try and it fit perfectly! The chickens didn't know what to make of this new waterer at first so we put the old one next to it. Out of curiosity perhaps, they started to peck on the nipples and water would come out and then we took out the old waterer and they have been using this new one since then.    



 






  


No comments:

Post a Comment